Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Hey everyone!!
Wow what an amazing week!! It truly was incredible and I am so thankful I am serving a mission in Mississippi. First news is first...I am now training two ladies!! I am in a trio:) There is Sister Keyes who is finishing up her training, and Sister Zemp who is from Canada and she is beautiful and we couldn't be more excited to be serving with her. I know she is going to love Clinton. We will see how this goes...haha I looked at president and asked him if he was sure about this and he grabs my arms looking me straight in the eyes and says, "Sister Jenkins, of course I'm sure." Clinton Mississippi is truly the place for me right now!! There are so many changes and the south's hearts are truly being softened.
Thursday as everyone knows was the big day of the week!! We were spending Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday tracting and inviting people to come. What a turn out. Two of our investigators came and we were able to sit by them. The fireside was amazing!! I love Gladys Knight. Who would of thought I would have felt so "southern" in our own church. People in the chapel were clapping, singing, and standing when they felt the spirit. The church has never been so full of people. The crowd went clear to the back of the gym. There were many baptists during this event and I loved it. People randomly shouting amen...I even stood with D when she would really feel the spirit. It was funny because Gladys and her husband used to be baptists and they were singing all of these songs with her choir that are not found in the hymn book. You could tell that everyone was loving it. The majority of the crowd knew every single song! Except those that were raised in the LDS church hahaha...but then you could tell the songs the members knew. It defiantly gave a little edge to our music. Which is exactly how the south likes it and how Gladys likes it. Personally I loved it!! Getting up clapping along having a good uplifting night with those that are of different races and religions was amazing. My favorite "baptist" song was Smile! haha all the missionaries took advantage of standing and clapping and the deal was if one stood up we all stood. Sure enough...the missionaries got the crowd to stand just by standing first.
My favorite part of the entire night was the testimonies that were shared. It was a night full of missionary work! One speaker basically gave the entire restoration lesson in 10 min to the entire crowd. I don't remember his name but these words never leave my mind, "For those of you who are hear listening this message of the restored gospel is the single most important message of your life and I would suggest you listen and take action." It was amazing! Then Bro. McDowell got up to speak. He is Gladys Knights husband. His testimony was my favorite. He could relate to all of the people in there! He was a baptist before so he understood exactly where all of these people are coming from. My favorite line of the night from him, "When I was praying to find out if the Book of Mormon was true I sincerely asked this question, Out of all the people to give your church to.....why did you have to give it to a little white boy?" The entire crowd was laughing...."Then after repeating this question multiplier times...I got my answer, I didn't give it to a little white boy, I gave it to your brother. Brothers and Sisters I got my answer that it is true. All of it. We are not hear trying to convert you we are hear to give you a message and it is up to you to take action of this message. You are responsible for listening to this message, and you are responsible for doing something about it." It was amazing!! Then when Gladys got up I loved it because she started talking about her conversion story and she kept talking about how everyone should have the upmost respect for all the missionaries. Then she said, "in fact I bet these men on bicycles and ladies in skirts are in here right now. They are my friends and if you have any questions about the message that we have shared tonight these amazing people who are in the prime of their lives can deliver it to you and your life will be better then it ever has before. My missionary friends, stand up all y'all." We all stood up and it was amazing!! The entire crowd started clapping! Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc....people were clapping for us in both sessions. It was incredible and I almost started to cry. That was defiantly my favorite part and our investigators could not have had a bigger smile on their face.
At the end of the night there were a ton of referral cards given to all of the missionaries and Sister Keyes has had a lot of success with visiting each of these people. One of them (He.. R....) is so accepting and I was in awe at the fact she let us in her home so willingly. She has a baptism date and I know she is so ready and willing for this gospel to enter her life. Do...and De..... both know our message is true. We Do.....has been to church the last 3 weeks and loves it.
There was one referral in our area--he lives 45 min away (Clinton Sisters area is big) and we had know idea how we were even going to make it out there! So we prayed hard that one of the relief society ladies would give us one because we knew that we had to visit this man named Ce..... Well...in the middle of Sunday school a man walks in. Hi I'm Ce....and I'm investigating the church, I had a feeling I needed to come here today!! It was amazing! Instead of going clear out to Utica...Utica came to us. And the best part is we gave him a church tour and he is playing basketball with the men in our ward and he's in Clinton 4 out of the 7 days a week and one of those days is Sundays! It's perfect! God's hand is amazing and he truly knows each of his children.
It's been such an amazing week...words can't even describe the feeling I feel. I go to bed constantly thinking about the people out here. I love it--thinking of others is so much better then thinking about myself. Charity is the pure love of Christ and I am thankful I am beginning to understand the big picture. I have so much to learn but I know and am that second witness to Bro. McDowell--This message is true. The gospel is true--there is not one doubt about it in my mind.
I hope that y'all really take advantage of what utah has at home. We are members!! We are members of the only true church on earth--we have the restored gospel, the priesthood, and the Book of Mormon. What a lucky people we are. We are the saints in these latter days gathering together Israel. God's promises will be fulfilled! I can't express my love enough for him. I love my Heavenly Father, and I am walking with my brother, Savior, and redeemer Jesus Christ out here. It's an honor and I'm realizing it more and more everyday. Obedience brings blessings and salvation. I have never been happier. I love being here. The person I was at home is still with me however...my standards are always growing higher and higher..this mission is truly molding me into the person I need to be. Anyways, I hope y'all had a good week. Don't forget that faith is a power! Keep it growing. I love you so much thank you for you constant love and support.
Love Sister Jenkins

Yes....I am feeding a giraffe at the zoo!

Keyes and I:)

Again my dream backyard!

Singing to Bro. Pratt....Green is leaving tomorrow:(

The entire Boone Family!


Elder Burt and I hiding in this egg!


Water Fight!  So fun!


Love these little girls!  I was Morgan's "mom" for the event.

I love little Alexis!  She is adorable!

Southern Mother's Day Tea Party:)

No comments:

Post a Comment