Monday, February 4, 2013

Hey Everyone!!
So what a week in the mission field.  I have loved every second well...almost every second.  But the beginning of this week we were able to go and visit a sister in the ward. I love her!! We went to visit her for her birthday and we ate pie and danced to oldies music:)  We even made a music video..but I can't send that soo parents you will have to wait till I send you the SD card to see it:)  I made it to a month!  Wahoo see you all in seventeen months--I love my companion and we get along really well.  We went tracting on Thursday and we ran into a man that when he opened up his door looked at us both and said, " I know who you two are...do you want a coke? You can come in but don't get any ideas we are just casually visiting and you are not going to baptize me understand?"  Yeah...Casual visit right...um we ended up talking for an hour.  He talked about religion almost the whole time and his wife and him love the lds church.  They asked a lot of questions about the temple and his wife looked at the picture I had like she wanted to be there someday.  He started talking about weird things--then my favorite was.  Are you Married?  "no"  "hmmm well you will be when you go back honey, but who's that football player that has a really good spirit?"  Sister Mapu and I looked at each other like...umm are we supposed to know?  Then he says, "oh Tim Tebow.  Yeah if you and him are meant to be together it will happen.  But honestly I don't think it will because your both in different places in life."  I just looked at him stunned.  I had know idea what he was saying I mean I did..but I wanted to burst out laughing.  Besides that weird comment he talked about religion the rest of the time.  I felt soo strongly to ask him if he's been a preacher in different religion and has been in the army, and loves god--Why has he not considered joining the LDS faith if he loves and respects it so much.  But the timing wasn't right. Then, his wife had to leave so that meant we had to leave.  On our way out he looked at me and said, "It looks like you are dying to tell me something so just say it."  So I asked, "why have you not tried the Mormon faith if you love everything about it?"  He looked at me and said, "well I'm to old."  Then I asked him to read the Book of Mormon and give it a chance he said he would and expects us to come back this week.  But then he said, "well you've been successful you handed me a book and now you can check me off your check list."  I looked at him and said, "Christ doesn't look at you like a check mark and I want you to know we never will either.  We are only here to bring you closer to him."  He looked at me and smiled we said a prayer and we are going back this week to see him:)  
Oh and D. our investigator came to church this week!! it was great:)  I was playing the organ and look down to see my companion sitting by her and I was so happy she was there.  She loved it and is coming again next week and we are teaching her on Wed.
Also another one of our investigators told us she knows what she is reading is true and she wants to get baptized.  One problem is though that she hasn't told her mom she has been talking with the missionaries.  Her dad knows but her mom doesn't.  So we are waiting until she tells her mother.  She is 16 years old and loves everything we are teaching her.   She said that it just feels right.  So we will see what happens with her--she's adorable!
I love my mission--I am starting to know my Bible a lot better trust me.  With all the new missionaries we have a 12 week program (it's new) but I get an extra hour of study everyday.  The normal is two hours but nope I get three:)  I actually really love personal study I learn so much--I finished the Book of Mormon again!! I love it!  Seriously people read that book...it's the best thing and the most truthful and perfect book on earth.  
There is a Brother and Sister that  took us to a restaurant this week (by the way mom she is trying to find you on FB)  I was able to eat some southern catfish--we went to a place called Cock of the Walk.  The couple that took us kept telling everyone in there that I am a westerner so they better give me a good experience.  It was good!  Kinda crazy though...I didn't like the greens they gave us.  Seafood is huge down here--I am trying to work out every morning but all I do is run!  Any other work outs I can do besides my 100's work out I brought with me that I found on pinterest would be wonderful.  
The members are so sweet and I get to speak in church on Sunday...yay!  I'm really nervous new ward--but I love the people so it will be fine.  I am def not going to church in Utah anymore that's for sure.  There is no temple here (yet)  There is one in Baton Rouge which is three hours away but we don't get to go to that at all.  I love the temple and I'm super bummed I don't get to go but that's okay because the lord's work needs to be done here!  
So yesterday we went to go visit this family that's inactive and they have ignored us twice when we can hear them when we knock on the door then all of a sudden it's silent and nobody answers for like three min.  Yep....here's how it goes...Knock Knock--Oh it's the missionaries!! Hide we are inactive and don't come to church and they are only trying to help us but hide!  Yeah...it annoys me but when we come back and catch them outside it's hilarious they have this oh no run away look in their eyes but then oh dang it I'm caught and they have to talk to us:)  I love those people though--But after that house we saw this dad outside throwing the football.  (By the way football is a religion down here...don't mess with the southerners on Superbowl Sunday).  Anyways Sister Mapu asked when we could come back because he said we could.  Well...I wasn't buying it--I knew he wasn't interested.  So I bluntly asked, "Look are you really interested? Because unless you don't have a desire to change and hear the message of the restored gospel please don't invite us back if your not going to be here.  So are you sincerely interested?"  He paused for a min...then he looked up at us and said, "no I'm not interested sorry."  I said, "Thank you..We welcome you to read this Book if you ever want to know the truth about any question you've ever had."   Then we shook hands smiled and walked away.  
I love the south!!  I said, "y'all" the first time this week and felt soo weird!!  I won't get an accent but heck...the fact I said that surprised me:)  Anyways I love you all!! I hope you have a good week:)  Keep you standards high!  
Love Sister Jenkins


At a birthday party!


Celebrating my one month and my companion's one year anniversary!


My Desk!

Best Greek Yogurt Ever!


At a Restaurant called Cock of the Walk.


Just had Catfish and Hush Puppies and some seaweed stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment